The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Fri, 03/13/2009 1:58 PM
Eleven-year-old Rima Andika and her uncle Endang Sumarna, 35, died after inhaling poisonous gas inside a well in front of their home in Betah village, Bandung, West Java on Friday morning.
Witnesses said that Endang was trying to help Rima, who fell into the 16-meter deep well at around 6:30 a.m.. He went down into the well and managed reach Rima, but had trouble breathing and fell on top of her.
Their bodies were later recovered with help from local police.
First Brig. Sudrajat, who went down to retrieve the bodies, told tempointeraktif.com that he too had trouble breathing inside the well, despite wearing an oxygen mask.
“I smelled sulfur inside the well,” he said.
Endang's father Nana, 54, said he heard his granddaughter shouting for help after she fell.
“I went down but I couldn't stand the air, so I asked Endang to go down,” he said. (dre)